[Haskell-cafe] Building "production stable" software in Haskell

J. Garrett Morris trevion at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 15:22:09 EDT 2007

I believe that rnf from the Control.Parallel.Strategies library
shipped with GHC 6.6.1 is equivalent to deepSeq, as in:

x `deepSeq` y    is equivalent to   rnf x `seq` y

Isn't it?

 /g

On 9/12/07, Peter Verswyvelen <bf3 at telenet.be> wrote:
> Thanks for all the info.
>
> It's really good news that code coverage is now part of the GHC compiler!
>
> Any more info on that "deep seq"? I can't find it in the libraries that come
> with GHC 6.6.1. It seems to be part of Control.Strategies.DeepSeq of HXT.
> This is a separate download?
>
> Intuitively, I would say "deep seq" forces strict evaluation of the complete
> "graph" of its first argument? Is this correct?
>
> Peter

The man who'd introduced them didn't much like either of them, though
he acted as if he did, anxious as he was to preserve good relations at
all times. One never knew, after all, now did one now did one now did
one.