[Haskell-cafe] getting crazy with character encoding

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Wed Sep 12 11:19:22 EDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 10:53:29AM -0400, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
>  That is expected.  The low level filesystem storage doesn't know about
>  character sets, so non-ASCII filenames must be encoded in e.g. UTF-8.  8
>  characters is therefore correct, and you must do UTF-8 decoding on input
>  because Haskell does not do so automatically.

Ahh, now I eventually get it! So, as far as I understand, I'm getting
bytes that are automatically translated into an iso-8859-1 string, if
I'm correctly reading this old post by Glynn:
http://tinyurl.com/2fhl43

And so it's my job to convert it in what I need. Luckily I've just
discovered (and now I'm reading) some of John Meacham's code on
locale. This is going to be very helpful (unfortunately I don't see
Licenses coming with HsLocale, but if I'm reading correctly there is
something like this in Riot - and this was BSD3 released).

Thanks for your kind attention.

Andrea