[Haskell-cafe] Elevator pitch for Haskell.

Brian Hurt bhurt at spnz.org
Mon Sep 10 18:24:28 EDT 2007

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007, Devin Mullins wrote:

> Brian Hurt wrote:
>> Any links to these presentations?  I'm interested.
> Videos:
>  http://rubyhoedown2007.confreaks.com/session04.html

Actually, this video has an interesting bit, relevent to this discussion.
He doesn't phrase it as an "elevator pitch", but that's what it is.  When
he's talking about his first Ruby job, he was approached by a company
thinking of doing a web app in Java.  His response: "Give me your best bid
for doing in Java- take of 30% of the cost and cut the delivery time in
half, and I'll do it in Ruby for that."  Managers don't understand (or
care about, generally) technology- but they understand time, and they
understand money.

So there's your elevator pitch- "You're looking at doing project X in
language Y- I can do it in Haskell for 30% less money and in half the
time."  All you need to do is fill in the correct values for X and Y.

Brian