[Haskell-cafe] Haddock/hscolour integration broken on Hackage?

David Menendez zednenem at psualum.com
Mon Sep 10 14:11:50 EDT 2007

I was looking at the Data.Binary documentation[1] on Hackage, and I've
noticed some problems with the associated source listings[2].

First, none of the "Source" links work. They all refer to fragment IDs
(e.g., "#Binary") that are not defined. I'm not sure if this is a
problem with hscolor, haddock, or hackage.

Second, the source listing itself[2] is invalid HTML[3]. The W3C
validator lists 678 errors. Of these, 677 are have to do with the line
number anchors, all of which start with parentheses. This is bad not
only because HTML requires fragment ids to start with a letter, but
because parentheses are not allowed to occur in URIs. As a result,
links to line numbers will come out looking like
"Data-Binary.html#%28line100%29".

[1] <http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/binary/0.3/doc/html/Data-Binary.html>
[2] <http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/binary/0.3/doc/html/src/Data-Binary.html>
[3] <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fhackage.haskell.org%2Fpackages%2Farchive%2Fbinary%2F0.3%2Fdoc%2Fhtml%2Fsrc%2FData-Binary.html&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=1>