[Haskell-cafe] Hawiki articles

ajb at spamcop.net ajb at spamcop.net
Mon Sep 3 21:25:57 EDT 2007

G'day all.

Quoting Henning Thielemann <lemming at henning-thielemann.de>:

> I join this minority. Lawyers, please turn a deaf ear.

I dissent in part.

Speaking for myself (I wrote quite a bit of stuff for hawiki, including
some of TyingTheKnot), I don't want anyone violating my copyrights.

However, I /did/ grant a blanket licence for anything that I wrote on
hawiki to be relicensed under the haskellwiki licence, because I didn't
have the time to do it myself.  But not all of it was ported before
hawiki disappeared, and I didn't keep a copy.

I propose:

1. Bring back hawiki in a read-only form.

2. Copy over every sufficiently useful part of every page, where the
author has granted the licence.

3. Identify who the major contributors for the rest are.  Write stubs,
proactively ask for licences, and, if necessary, rewrite the critical
bits.

I still don't have a huge amount of time, but even I committed to doing
only one page a week, if enough people did the same, it'd be done in a
very short time.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage