[Haskell-cafe] Hawiki articles

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Sep 3 15:37:55 EDT 2007

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, Derek Elkins wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 14:57 +0200, Henning Thielemann wrote:
> > In the current Haskell Wiki (haskell.org/haskellwiki) I found references
> > to articles of the old Hawiki (haskell.org/hawiki), like OnceAndOnlyOnce
> > and SeparationOfConcerns. Are the files still available somewhere?
>
> HaWiki was taken down for the not unreasonable reason that, since it is
> no longer being updated, there is a decent chunk of out-dated and thus
> misleading information on it.  Unfortunately there is a ridiculously
> large amount extremely good information on it that never got ported and
> frankly never is going to be ported (for good and bad reasons).

... and there was unfortunately no support in porting the stuff. I guess
some simple program (perl -p -e 's/{{{/<hask>/g' :-) could have simplified
a lot. Its however more difficult for me to do this via the web interface,
than for the people who have access to the bare files.

> Clearly making HaWiki live again would be a bad idea; haskellwiki is
> being used now for a reason.  However, having it up in "stasis" as it
> was with some prominent indication on each page that it is out of
> date/no longer updated/obsolete or whichever term suits you fancy should
> effectively solve the problem.  It should be possible and probably even
> desirable to "distill" the pages into static HTML documents so that
> MoinMoin would not be needed, if that is an issue.

Since it is easier to port Wiki code than HTML code, I propose copying all
hawiki pages as they are to haskellwiki in a directory like DEPRECATED.
>From there people can go on moving pages into the space of current pages.
This would also allow to track where pages came from Hawiki.

> The current Tying_the_knot page is a pale comparison to the old one, and
> the entire CommonHaskellIdioms hierarchy was never migrated, an
> impressive resource.

Seconded.