[Haskell-cafe] Learn Prolog...

ajb at spamcop.net ajb at spamcop.net
Mon Sep 3 02:49:20 EDT 2007

G'day all.

Quoting Bill Wood <william.wood3 at comcast.net>:

> As to whether Prolog is "dead" or not, it depends on your definition of
> "dead".  Three years ago (not ten!) I made my living maintaining and
> developing a large application written in Prolog.

Back when I was doing logic programming, 10 or so years ago, we used to
chuckle at papers which referred to analyses which claimed to be fast
"even on large 1000-line programs".

I'm sure this isn't the case for you, but a typical Prolog programmer's
idea of "large" is very different from a typical COBOL programmer's.

> As a result code was being perpetually tuned toward less
> non-determinism.  You know what the limit is?  Functional programming!

Did you look at Mercury?

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage