[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell as an extension language

Yuri D'Elia wavexx at users.sf.net
Mon Sep 3 02:42:32 EDT 2007

In article <837db430709021625ye53068fo357f775324f465dc at mail.gmail.com>,
 "Hugh Perkins" <hughperkins at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, using Swig etc to join Python to C++ takes a significant
> amount of time, and one needs project members now to learn two
> languages.

That's a non-issue in my context. The first real problem is wasting time
generating glue code. The second problem is interrupting the current
work to correct the bindings, or the underlying code itself. The ability
to correct, inspect and debug all the code at runtime without ever
stopping almost outweighs the language capabilities or syntax. If
elegance weren't an issue ;), I would solely use lisp, or maybe some
scheme, or maybe even CINT.

> Then I discovered a different language (not Haskell) that combined the
> ease of Python with the speed of C++.  It's really a big advantage.

Is that something originally coming from digital mars? The list of
languages that argue to have that target performance is quite long... ;)