[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why can't Haskell be faster?

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Wed Oct 31 14:16:28 EDT 2007

goalieca:
>    So in a few years time when GHC has matured we can expect performance to
>    be on par with current Clean? So Clean is a good approximation to peak
>    performance?

The current Clean compiler, for micro benchmarks, seems to be rather
good, yes. Any slowdown wrt. the same program in Clean could be
considered a bug in GHC...

And remember usually Haskell is competing against 'high level' languages
like python for adoption, where we're 5-500x faster anyway...

-- Don