[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why can't Haskell be faster?

Peter Hercek peter at syncad.com
Wed Oct 31 09:24:59 EDT 2007

Add to that better unbox / box annotations, this may make even
  bigger difference than the strictness stuff because it allows
  you to avoid a lot of indirect references do data.

Anyway, if Haskell would do some kind of whole program analyzes
  and transformations it probably can mitigate all the problems
  to a certain degree.

So the slowness of Haskell (compared to Clean) is consequence of
  its type system. OK, I'll stop, I did not write Clean nor Haskell
  optimizers or stuff like that :-D

Peter.