[Haskell-cafe] Newbie Question on Setting the GHC Search Path

Benjamin L. Russell dekudekuplex at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 29 01:07:56 EDT 2007

Please pardon this intrusion for an elementary
question on setting the GHC search path.

I have installed GHC on my work Windows XP machine,
and would like to be able to search for files in the
following directory:

D:\From C Drive\Documents and
Settings\DekuDekuplex\Programming Practice\Haskell\GHC

However, when I type the following command into the
GHC interpreter:

:cd "D:\From C Drive\Documents and
Settings\DekuDekuplex\Programming
Practice\Haskell\GHC"

I get the following error message:

*** Exception: "D:\From C Drive\Documents and
Settings\DekuDekuplex\Programming
Practice\Haskell\GHC": setCurrentDirectory: invalid
argument (Invalid argument)

Yet, for testing purposes, when I type the following
command:

:cd cygwin

I do not get any error message.

There seems to be a problem with the spaces in the
filename.  However, I would like to be able to use the
"D:\From C Drive\Documents and
Settings\DekuDekuplex\Programming
Practice\Haskell\GHC" directory for GHC programming
practice, because I keep my practice work for my other
programming languages in the same
super-super-directory.

Does anybody know a way to specify "D:\From C
Drive\Documents and Settings\DekuDekuplex\Programming
Practice\Haskell\GHC" as a directory in the search
path for GHC?

Benjamin L. Russell