[Haskell-cafe] newbie optimization question

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Sun Oct 28 15:40:28 EDT 2007

Am Sonntag, 28. Oktober 2007 20:09 schrieb Derek Elkins:
<snip>

> > That fits with my experience writing low level numeric code -- Integer
> > can be a killer.
>
> Inline machine operations v. out-of-line calls to an arbitrary precision
> integer C library: there shouldn't be any surprise here.

Obviously. However, what if 32 bit integers aren't sufficient?
What perpetually puzzles me is that in C long long int has very good
performance, *much* faster than gmp, in Haskell, on my computer, Int64 is
hardly faster than Integer.
So I stick to Integer mostly, it may be slow but it's correct.

Cheers,
Daniel