[Haskell-cafe] Haskell to math

Peter Verswyvelen bf3 at telenet.be
Fri Oct 26 09:37:42 EDT 2007

Jerzy K wrote

>wants. He wants a specific pretty-printer *in Haskell*. This was most
>probably a subject of many students' exercices...

Yes Jerzy, exactly. I wrote some Haskell code to create plots of binary relations and functions on the Cartesian plane, using GTK2HS (Cairo). I have to pretty print the math formulas used in these plots. Now I'm retyping the math formulas in Word, but being a really lazy programmer, I want to automate this task.

So I wanted to write some code that renders math formulas (maybe using GTK, or to MathML; I must admit I don't know LaTex at all, sorry...), but since this feels like a lot of work to get right, I was wandering if it existed allready.

Okay, I could have skipped all the above and just use Maple or whatever other tool, but I'm trying to use Haskell whenever possible, because I'm kind of addicated to it. Also I still feel a bit stuck in newbie land (although I think I'm approaching escape velocity ;-), so I grab every opportunity to practice in Haskell...

Thanks,
Peter