[Haskell-cafe] lazily traversing a foreign data structure

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 17:39:08 EDT 2007

On 10/25/07, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH <allbery at ece.cmu.edu> wrote:
> My point is that there's no promise for that one *even in C*.  (The
> equivalent construct being adding the new row before nextKey has
> failed.)

Sure, but in C, it's highly likely that the full evaluation of the key
list happens in one place, that's just how code tends to get written.
That said, in C code, I've often seen bugs where code called during
the iteration of a collection modifies that collection; that's
something that has been really refreshing to get away from when
writing Haskell.

With the unsafeInterleaveIO example, the "pure" keylist could get
deferred indefinitely, stored in a data structure, partially evaluated
at many different times against many different versions of the
database, etc., and it's not necessarily clear to the person who just
has a [Key] that they are doing deferred calls to nextKey like it
tends to be in C.

It's safe if you use it in a predictable fashion, and in a real API
I'd probably provide "getKeys" and "unsafeLazyGetKeys" and let the
programmer decide.

  -- ryan