[Haskell-cafe] OS Abstraction module??

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Tue Oct 23 09:10:02 EDT 2007

Galchin Vasili wrote:
> In
> discussing this OS Abstraction Layer, I think I am thinking of some notion
> of "laziness" (read ... decisions made at run-time .. not compile-time ..
> otherwise I think we have to resort to ifdefs which are not so nice and
> require a lot of code maintenance.)

It is difficult on existing systems to make a binary that can link with
multiple alternate sets C functions.  Also you may need the
corresponding header-files when compiling.  (But non-binary
implementations such as Yhc might be able to lazily only look up a
foreign-imported function once it's called, it perhaps being _|_ if not
found).  I can't speak to how much there are code maintenance issues of
ifdefs... but if you don't have a Windows system to test against, for
example, then you'll *never* know if Windows-specific parts of your code
work, ifdefs or not.

Isaac