[Haskell-cafe] Type vs TypeClass duality

Luke Palmer lrpalmer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 04:42:19 EDT 2007

On 10/23/07, TJ <tjay.dreaming at gmail.com> wrote:
> What I find strange is, if we can have functions with hidden
> parameters, why can't we have the same for, say, elements of a list?
>
> Suppose that I have a list of type Show a => [a], I imagine that it
> would not be particularly difficult to have GHC insert a hidden item
> along with each value I cons onto the list, in effect making the
> concrete type of the list [(Dictionary Show, a)]. I'm assuming that it
> will not be particularly difficult because GHC will know the types of
> the values I cons onto it, so it will most definitely be able to find
> the Show dictionary implemented by that type, or report a type
> mismatch error. No dynamic type information is necessary.

Which is exactly what happens with:

    data Showable = forall a. Show a => Showable a
    stuff = [Showable 42, Showable "hello", Showable 'w']

> I am not an OO programming zealot, but I'd like to note here that this
> is also how (class based) OO languages would allow the programmer to
> mix types. e.g. I can have a List<Show> where the elements can be
> instances of Show, or instances of subclasses of Show.
>

> Why does this second rate treatment of type classes exist in Haskell?

I think partially the reason is that such polymorphic data structures
are somewhat less useful in Haskell than they are in OO languages.
This may be in part due to the fact that there's no down-casting.  And
certain wrappers, eg. Gtk, emulate up- and down-casting using various
typeclass tricks.

I was in a similar dilemma shortly after I started learning Haskell,
coming from a C++ and Perl background.  I think #perl6 has some logs
of me whining about Haskell's "lack" of OO features.  How are you
supposed to design your programs modularly if you can't have a
type-agnostic list?

But it doesn't bug me anymore.  I can't really say why.  The natural
solution space in Haskell is so different than that of OO languages,
that you don't really need such existentially polymorphic (just made
up that term) objects[1].  There is still plenty of modularity in
Haskell programs--I would even call it OO, I think--it just looks
different, and took a lot of getting used to.  I had to remap what I
considered an "object" in my brain.

Anyway, enough preachy.  Typeclasses definitely aren't perfect; global
instance exportation has gotten me in trouble several times.  But,
other than

     [exists a. Show a => a]

What would be a first-rate treatment of type classes to you?  What
kind of features do you want that they don't have?

[1] I hardly ever use them.  When I do use existential types, they are
usually without context, i.e. they fill the role of 'something which I
know nothing about'.