[Haskell-cafe] string literals and haskell'

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 12:12:29 EDT 2007

Hi

I can see problems with this. This comes up when typing windows file path's:

"C:\path to my\directory\boo"

If this now reports no errors, who wants to guess which come up as
escape codes, and which don't. The way other languages like C# have
dealt with this is by introducing a new type of quoted string:

@":\/"

In a @" string, there are no escape characters, except for "" which
means ". There are various other quoting mechanisms available - but
all have the problem of being yet another thing to learn.

Thanks

Neil