[Haskell-cafe] Do you trust Wikipedia?

jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr
Thu Oct 18 20:45:45 EDT 2007

PR Stanley writes:

> One of the reasons I'm interested in Wikipedia and Wikibook is because
> you're more likely to find Latex source code used for typesetting the
> maths.
> Latex is the one and only 100% tool right now.
> A lot of publishers use Latex but try to get anything from them in
> electronic form.

I don't understand you. WHAT YOU WANT?

1. Many articles in Wikipedia typeset math formulae as *images*, you don't
  really see the LaTeX sources. Some formulae are typed through plain HTML.

2. MOST journal publishers who recommend LaTeX give you the appropriate
  .cls files. Kluwer, Journal of Functional Programming, etc. Sometimes
  the attached manuals contain formulae. Whom did you ask, and what did
  you want?

3. LaTeX is NOT the one and only one. Texts which should be printed, OK,
  I format in LaTeX. Presentations on screen, my lectures, seminars, etc.
  I format in MathML, and I show using Mozilla, etc., standard navigator.
  Of course, making MathML by hand is like eating oysters with shells.

  I recommend then the script of Peter Jipsen
  http://www1.chapman.edu/~jipsen/mathml/asciimath.html
  which permits you to write your formulae intuitively, and fast. And
  reasonably well, although the comparison with LaTeX would be difficult.

4. The LaTeX community name is Legion. You don't need Wikipedia to find
  everything about, all examples you ever would need. Ask concrete
  questions.

5. I don't understand what has it to do with 'trusting' Wikipedia or not...

Jerzy Karczmarczuk