[Haskell-cafe] Tutorial: Curry-Howard Correspondence

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Wed Oct 17 23:03:47 EDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 06:49:24PM -0700, Dan Weston wrote:
> It would seem that this induction on SN requires strictness at every stage.
> Or am I missing something?

Yes you are missing something.  Whether it exists in my message is less
certain.

First, note that the elements of SN[a] are lambda-terms, like (\x -> x)
(\x -> x).

Second, strong normalization means that *every* reduction sequence
terminates.  E.g. that term is strongly normalizing, since the only
possible reduction leads to \x -> x, from which no further reductions
apply.

Third, by inhabit...when passed, I mean that if

TERM1

inhabits SN[a -> b], and

TERM2

inhabits SN[a], then

(TERM1) (TERM2)

inhabits SN[b].  No mention of evaluation required.

Is it clear now?

Stefan