[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Re: Trying to install binary-0.4

ChrisK haskell at list.mightyreason.com
Tue Oct 16 03:19:43 EDT 2007

Simon Marlow wrote:
 > Ultimately when things settle down
> it might make sense to do this kind of thing, but right now I think an
> easier approach is to just fix packages when dependencies change, and to
> identify sets of mutually-compatible packages (we've talked about doing
> this on Hackage before).
> Cheers,
>     Simon

When coordinating distribution of separately maintained libraries and projects,
the linux distributions do indeed "identify sets of mutually-compatible
packages", quite often including small patchfiles to ensure compilation.

Thus for linux, cabal is a layer below such apt and rpm repositories and
blessing sets of packages would be done at a higher level.

Once cabal is being used to automatically retrieve sets of working packages then
 it is easiest to write cabal to assume that hackage is fixed when dependencies

As a practical matter, it is easy to see how to identify such sets.  Since such
sets must be installed by at least one person, that person's ghc-pkg listing is
already a precise definition of the working set.  All that might need to be done
is to publish such a working set on hackage where cabal (or another tool) can
see it.