[Haskell-cafe] Java - Haskell adjustment

Ryan Bloor ryanbloor at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 15 10:49:44 EDT 2007

Hi, its Ryan here...

I've just come from an intensive course in java and have been thrown into the imperative world of haskell.

The problem that I have is extremely simple in java but I am having trouble adjusting my old mindset.

A multiset is a collection of items.
Each item may occur one or more times in the multiset. All items are of the same type.

The scenario we could use is a students' grades for their A levels: 3A, 4B and 2C grades for our pupil 'x'.
A multiset may be implemented by a list... so ['A', 'A', 'A', 'B', 'B', 'B', 'B, 'C', 'C'] but this very ineffiecient and tedious.

How might one set out into putting this into action.... thanks...

Any help that complements my ideas is welcome