[Haskell-cafe] Hosting of Haskell project

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Mon Oct 15 05:39:27 EDT 2007

Gour wrote:
> I was playing with it in the past, but it's 3rd party,
> ie. Trac does not have official support.

I happen to be looking for a project mgmt framework
right now.

It seems to me that the opposite is true. Trac is a
mature app with a huge community of people
supporting it and writing plugins, including some
departments at NASA. It is being used successfully
for many large projects, such as GHC. It will not go
away for a long, long time. Much of the Haskell
community is already accustomed to Trac.

Redmine is quite new. Based on posts and commits,
it appears to be maintained by a single person.
I don't know of any major project or organization
that is using it yet. So I am a little worried that its
future is not yet assured. And I am not sure if
anyone knows yet how stable it is currently, or
how it scales under load.

For that reason, I am currently not considering
Redmine for my organization.

However, Redmine definitely looks nicer and easier
to use than Trac. Please let me know if my
impression of its stability and track record are
wrong. Also - if the Haskell community adopts
Redmine, that itself could give it a big push.

-Yitz