[Haskell-cafe] On the verge of ... giving up!

Vimal j.vimal at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 09:58:35 EDT 2007

Cool! Lots of opinion. Let me consider them one by one:

@Neil:

> This is where you went wrong. I know none of this stuff and am
> perfectly happy with IO in Haskell. Read
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Monads_as_Containers and then read
> lots of other Monad tutorials for Haskell.

I tried this too, and this made some sense to me in the beginning. But,
not enough to satisfy my curiosity! So, I tried to dig in ...

> > So, I requested my institute to buy Dr. Graham Hutton's book. I would
> > be getting hold of that quite soon, and am willing to start from the
> > beginning.
>
> I'm not sure this covers IO in any great detail - it will be useful
> for general Haskell though.

IO isnt the only problem. Monads + how to define your own Monads etc.
Since Monad's arent just for IO, where else could it be used? (e.g.
Stateful functions), but is that it? Is it possible for me to come
up with an instance of a Monad to solve _my_ problem? Thats the kind
of question I would like to answer :)

> I would try number 2 first. IO in Haskell can be tricky, especially
> while you are learning all the other bits of the language at the same
> time. Network stuff is also not as well developed in terms of
> libraries as something like Python - but something like HappS should
> be able to do a spoj clone easily enough. A better choice for an
> initial IO application might be something like "du", then moving to an
> online judge system later on.

You are probably right. Mimicking *nix tools might be great fun to start
off with :)

> Thanks

Thanks :)