[Haskell-cafe] Pixel plotter

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sun Oct 14 08:31:56 EDT 2007

I write a lot of programs that build bitmapped images. (Some of you may
remember the Chaos Pendulum Simulator...) Currently, all of these
programs work by writing the final image data to a PPM file on disk.
(Because that's the only way I can figure out to do something *useful*
with the data!)

What I'd *like* to be able to do, in priority order:

1. Display images on the screen.
2. Save images as PNG files. (PPM eats too much space!)
3. Animate images on the screen.
4. With double-buffering.
5. Not break horribly when rendering in multiple threads.

As far as I know, all of this is *possible* with Gtk2hs right now - it's
just vastly more complex than making a single function call. So what I'd
like to do is write a small library which will enable me to do each of
the above tasks in 1 function call. However, I'm getting nowhere fast
with this. Anybody have any suggestions?

PS. I've investigated existing APIs and I'm not seeing anything that
looks useful. Lots of support for drawing lines and arcs and so on, but
not for plotting individual pixels.