[Haskell-cafe] Re: On the verge of ... giving up!

apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Sun Oct 14 07:45:09 EDT 2007

Vimal wrote:
> I have been trying my best to read about Haskell from the various
> tutorials available on the internet and blogs.
> [...]
>
> So, I requested my institute to buy Dr. Graham Hutton's book. I would
> be getting hold of that quite soon, and am willing to start from the
> beginning.

IMHO, the best way to learn Haskell is to learn it from a textbook.
That's basically all there is to it :)

I mean, the same goes for Theoretical Computer Science, Mathematics,
Physics etc. I think that the key properties of a textbook are
  1) printed on paper
  2) well-written
Of course, if a book doesn't have property 2), use another one. An
online book satisfying 2) can be made satisfy 1) by printing it out. In
other words, anything goes that fulfills 1) and 2).

And since reading two textbooks (in parallel) is even better than
reading only one, I'd additionally recommend Bird's "Introduction to
Functional Programming using Haskell". For other books, see also

   http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Books_and_tutorials#Textbooks

Regards,
apfelmus