[Haskell-cafe] pi

jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr
Thu Oct 11 05:22:11 EDT 2007

My last word (promise!) on the subject, especially addressed to Jonathan
Cast, who writes:

> To wit, I'm still failing to understand what your position is.

I quote the Master:

Lennart:
> Come on people!  This discussion is absurd.  The numeric classes in
> Haskell have a lot of choices that are somewhat arbitrary.
> Just live with it.  If pi has a default or not has no practical
> consequences.

My position is: don't put rubbish into the Prelude!
Swelling the standard environment with useless stuff has two consequences,
it pollutes the name space, and slows down the learning process of the
language, since many newbies will try to learn those useless quirks.
So, no default, and no class membership. But, as LA says, we can live with,
we have more important sorrows, all of us...

Jerzy Karczmarczuk