[Haskell-cafe] pi

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Wed Oct 10 09:00:35 EDT 2007

jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr wrote:
> Somehow I do not only think that the default implementation would be good
> for nothing, but that putting PI into Floating as a class member, serves
> nobody.

Are you aware that it already is in the Floating class?

This discussion is not about adding it, but about whether or not it
should have a default.

Are you suggesting pi should be removed from the Floating class?

Then, what type would you give pi?

Given that pi is often used with sin, as in "sin (t * pi)" it would seem
very odd if pi forced that to be monomorphic:

\t -> sin t -- polymorphic
\t -> sin (t*pi) -- monomorphic ?

Jules