[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] reading from stdin

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 03:03:42 EDT 2007

On 10/5/07, Reinier Lamers <reinier.lamers at phil.uu.nl> wrote:
> You can probably unify the behaviors of platforms a, b and c by calling
> hSetBuffering on stdin to turn off  buffering.

I'm not so sure about this.  I had a similar problem (GHC6.6.1 on
Windows) where I had an app that wanted character-based console input
on Windows.  Calling hSetBuffering stdin NoBuffering didn't actually
give me no buffering; not only that, but my app seemed to have
readline-like input behavior on the console where I could go back to
previously typed lines using the arrow keys, and my app wouldn't see
anything until I hit Enter.

  -- ryan