[Haskell-cafe] New slogan for haskell.org

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 5 16:51:43 EDT 2007

Henning Thielemann wrote:
> If this would be true, they would have switched to Modula II quickly
> ... I know that C programmers also like the
> concise/cryptic/inconsistent syntax.

It seems to me more than C programmers like to think they're cleaver
because they can spend weeks building elaborate and complex low-level
kludges to squeeze a few extra picoseconds out of the inner loop of a
program to make it go just that bit faster. Trying to get such people to
use Haskell seems fairly hopeless; you're so far from the hardware that
you don't do such tricks.

(Of course, there are plenty of C programmers who use it for other
reasons. It has the best compilers. It's the most portable. It can talk
to the OS and to hardware directly. For embedded systems, it might be
the only thing you've got. And so on...)