[Haskell-cafe] New slogan for haskell.org

Laurent Deniau laurent.deniau at cern.ch
Fri Oct 5 12:12:13 EDT 2007

Henning Thielemann wrote:

>>> 'type system' is something where C derivatives and scripting
>>> languages are weak - but their users count this as advantage.
>>
>> Rarely (maybe in the 70's but not since C89). They count as an
>> advantage simplicity, portability and efficiency. If you can provide a
>> better type system to C while keeping these points, you are welcome.
>> Still, it is easy to make your code strongly typed in C with some
>> discipline.
>
> If this would be true,

it is true and a good practice.

> they would have switched to Modula II quickly ...

Everybody is free to move from one language to another but Ada could be
a more attractive target.

> I know that C programmers also like the concise/cryptic/inconsistent
> syntax.

Syntax is often a matter of taste. Every languages look cryptic for
unfamiliar people. Haskell has itself some conventions in notation which
allows concise coding. Do you have an example of syntax inconsistency in C?

regards,

ld.