[Haskell-cafe] Re: PROPOSAL: New efficient Unicode string library.

Twan van Laarhoven twanvl at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 18:01:50 EDT 2007

Lots of people wrote:
 > I want a UTF-8 bikeshed!
 > No, I want a UTF-16 bikeshed!

What the heck does it matter what encoding the library uses internally?
I expect the interface to be something like (from my own CompactString
library):
 > fromByteString :: Encoding -> ByteString -> UnicodeString
 > toByteString   :: Encoding -> UnicodeString -> ByteString
The only matter is efficiency for a particular encoding.

I would suggest that we get a working library first. Either UTF-8 or
UTF-16 will do, as long as it works.

Even better would be to implement both (and perhaps more encodings), and
then benchmark them to get a sensible default. Then the choice can be
made available to the user as well, in case someone has specifix needs.
But again: get it working first!

Twan