[Haskell-cafe] Re: New slogan for haskell.org

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Fri Nov 30 03:33:10 EST 2007

"Yitzchak Gale" <gale at sefer.org> writes:

> Guido is clearly not rejecting functional influences
> on Python, he is supporting them. But he feels that
> these specific instances do not fit in.

I read some of his statements, and find that I disagree vehemently.
But I wonder if partial evaluation is contributint to this?

GvR thinks list comprehensions are better than map or filter, and
wants nested functions instead of lambda.  So where I like to write

      filter odd
or    (\xs -> (filter odd xs, filter even xs))

he would prefer

      let filter_odd xs = [ x | x <- xs, odd x ] in filter_odd

and   let map_even_odd xs =
          let filter_odd ys = [ y | y <- ys, odd y ]
              filter_even ys = [ y | y <- ys, even y ]
          in (filter odd xs, filter even xs)
      in map_even_odd

I hope I'm not misrepresenting the Python way here, but it feels
incredibly clunky.  Maybe it looks better in Python?

-k