[Haskell-cafe] Hit a wall with the type system

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Thu Nov 29 19:25:43 EST 2007

I must be missing something, because to me the contract seems to be much
simpler to express (than the Functor + Isomorphism route you seem to me
to be heading towards):

diff :: (Eq x,
          Dense x,
          Subtractible x,
          Subtractible y,
          Divisible y x yOverX) => (x -> y) -> x -> yOverX

class Dense        a where addEpsilon :: a -> a
class Subtractible a where takeAway   :: a -> a -> a
class Divisible    a b c | a b -> c
                      where divide     :: a -> b -> c

Then diff is just:

diff f a = if dx == dx' then error "Zero denom" else dydx
   where a'   = addEpsilon  a
         dx   = a'   `takeAway`   a
         dx'  = a    `takeAway`   a'
         dy   = f a' `takeAway` f a
         dydx = dy   `divide`   dx

With the instances:

instance Dense Double where addEpsilon x = x * 1.0000001 + 1.0e-10
instance Dense Int    where addEpsilon x = x + 1

instance Subtractible Double where takeAway x y = x - y
instance Subtractible Int    where takeAway x y = x - y

instance Divisible Double Double Double where divide x y = x / y
instance Divisible Int    Int    Int    where divide x y = x `div` y

and throwing in {-# OPTIONS_GHC -fglasgow-exts #-}, I get:

*Diff> diff sin (0.0::Double)
1.0
*Diff> diff (\x -> x*7+5) (4::Int)
7