[Haskell-cafe] Re: New slogan for haskell.org

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 19:01:27 EST 2007

> > "frees the programmer from writing superfluous type signatures" is a
> > weak (and dubious) advantage. I very often write "superfluous" type
> > signatures first (to be sure I know what I'm asking my program to do)
> > and only then let Haskell check it. Then I leave it in as good
> > documentation.
>
> I agree with this.  Perhaps
>
> Type Inference: deduces types automatically, so you don't have to clutter
> up your code with type declarations.  You can still write type declarations
> for documentation purposes, and these will be automatically checked by the
> compiler.

I also write top-level signatures usually, but inference is still
really nice inside the function.  Things like "let x = f y in ... + g
x + ..." don't make you declare the type of 'x' and change the
declaration if 'f' changes return type.  You just have to change 'g',
not everyone in between 'f' and 'g'.