[Haskell-cafe] New slogan for haskell.org

jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr
Thu Nov 29 14:41:31 EST 2007

Andrew Coppin writes:

> Dan Weston wrote:
>>   [...] and facilitates "borrow-from-the-future" techniques where useful
>> with infinite data structures or recursive algorithms.
> And this, gentlemen, is just one of the reasons why Haskell gets labelled
> as "scary".
> It's very hard to explain what this enigmatic riddle-like statement
> actually *means* without a very long exposition. (Heck, *I* haven't worked
> out how to "borrow from the future" yet...)

Scary - schmary...

If you want to be afraid of, say, Santa Claus, that's OK, you are a free
man. But, perhaps before saying that you haven't worked out something,
*try* to work it out.

Read something about Richard Bird's circular programs. A nice Web article
(Lloyd Allison) is here:

A really complicated application by Janis Voigtländer

will probably kill you, so don't. But The Web is full of articles. You can
even read one or two of my own productions.

I - sorry for shameless auto-ad - cited this paper *twice*, once it was
after *your* similar statement...

It is called "The Most Unreliable Technique in the World to Compute PI",
and it has been written explicitly for fun and instruction. That's
a possible answer to your dilemma.

Another one shows something even worse than borrowing from the future,
namely "going backwards in time", applied to the Automatic Differentiation
in Reverse Mode.

And, please, avoid saying that something is scary or difficult, unless
you are really sure.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk