[Haskell-cafe] Haskell and DB : giving up

manu emmanuel.delaborde at citycampus.com
Thu Nov 29 05:06:45 EST 2007

On Nov 29, 2007, at 10:49 AM, Ketil Malde wrote:
> I think this is the problem, not the solution.  There is a lot of DB
> libraries, just like there are a multitude of XML libraries, several
> collections, etc.  Too many libraries are written as research projects
> or by grad students, and left to rot after release.  The fragmentation
> also means that few libraries see any extensive testing - I was a bit
> surprised that apparently none of the XML libraries can handle files
> larger than a few megabytes, for instance.

Hello

My post wasn't intended as raging criticism, I can guess that
developping these libraries takes a lot of (unpaid) work.
And I am grateful for these libraries no matter what. However, if
what is needed to install and use MySQL (or another popular DB) from
Haskell could be drastically made shorter and easier, more people
might use Haskell in domains where it still is largely marginal (like
say... websites).

Manu