[Haskell-cafe] cabal under windows (was Re: Haskell-Cafe Digest, Vol 51, Issue 180)

Olivier Boudry olivier.boudry at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 22:22:48 EST 2007

On 11/28/07, Tim Docker <timd at macquarie.com.au> wrote:

> > Well I'd say none of the packages I've tried, build out of the box...
>
> I'm not a windows developer, but....
>
> Is it actually reasonable to expect any cabal packages that depend on
> external c libraries and headers to build out of the box on windows? How
> can cabal find out where those files are, without requiring a config
> file to be edited?
>
> Tim

Tim,

It is reasonable if you set the LIB and INCLUDE environment variables to
point to the MSYS /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include directories. Of
course you'll have to build the c library from source in MSYS/MinGW for this
to work. You'll also have to manually copy the dll files to a location in
the PATH.

set LIB=%LIB%;C:\MSYS\1.0\local\lib
set INCLUDE=%INCLUDE%;C:\msys\1.0\local\include

You can this as a one time change in the Systems control panel.

If you install the C library from a binary distribution (usually installed
in some arbitrary location on the pc) then the easiest way is to edit the
cabal file.

Cheers,

Olivier.