[Haskell-cafe] New slogan for haskell.org

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Wed Nov 28 20:12:44 EST 2007

 >  *  Static typing, which increases robustness by allowing the
 >     compiler to catch many common errors automatically.
 >
 >  *  Type inference, which deduces types automatically and frees
 >     the programmer from writing superfluous type signatures.
 >
 >  *  Higher order functions, polymorphism, and lazy evaluation,
 >     which enable higher levels of abstraction and more
 >     compositional, thus more reusable code.

"frees the programmer from writing superfluous type signatures" is a
weak (and dubious) advantage. I very often write "superfluous" type
signatures first (to be sure I know what I'm asking my program to do)
and only then let Haskell check it. Then I leave it in as good
documentation.

Also, if you're going to stress the benefits for the casual or new
reader, maybe you should spell them out explicitly:

  * Static typing

    - Compiler automatically infers a static type for every expression,
completely eliminating any potential for runtime type mismatch errors,
and checks any programmer-supplied type annotation for correctness. The
absence of silent typecasting also eliminates a whole class of
hard-to-find program logic errors.

  * Higher-order functions and polymorphism

    - Encourages higher-level abstraction and unshackles algorithm
design from implementation details.

  * Lazy evaluation

    - Separates the concerns of the called function ("what can I
provide?") and the calling function ("how much do I need to know?") and
facilitates "borrow-from-the-future" techniques where useful with
infinite data structures or recursive algorithms.