[Haskell-cafe] Haskell and DB : giving up

Justin Bailey jgbailey at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 17:59:30 EST 2007

On Nov 28, 2007 10:11 AM, manu <emmanuel.delaborde at citycampus.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've spent a few days trying to install all the packages required to
> use HaskellDB with either MySQL or SQlite3
> (the only 2 DB the host I was thinking about is supporting)

I'm not surprised you had this much trouble. If you are also building
on Windows, prepare to be extremely persistent.

That said, you should really look at the HDBC bindings, rather than
haskelldb. haskelldb looks awesome but when you see the queries it
produces you will cry. The first problem is "DISTINCT" is added to all
queries. It's also unable to do joins. Finally, it's not really
actively maintained.

HDBC, on the other hand, compiles OK on Windows (once you figure out
some tricky bits) and presumably works excellent on *nix. You may have
a lot more luck there.

Don't feel too bad - you aren't the first to have this experience and
certainly not the last. If you want to give back, write up what you
learned (or didn't learn) on the wiki: www.haskell.org.

Justin