[Haskell-cafe] Re: Waiting for thread to finish

Brian Sniffen brian.sniffen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 17:18:22 EST 2007

On Nov 28, 2007 5:07 PM, Maurí­cio <briqueabraque at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sorry if I sound rude. I just saw a place for a
> small joke, and used it. Chris code is pretty
> elegant to what it is supposed to do. However,
> knowing if a thread has finished is just 1 bit of
> information. There's probably a reason why that
> would hurt performance, but I don't understand
> it.

Most threads either communicate some result---and you'll care about
setting up a channel for that---or run forever.  Some threads run on
different computation engines.  There's nothing in the Haskell spec
that says I have to run the threads on a shared-memory machine.  If
the threads are distributed, then the channel to communicate back that
one has finished may be very expensive.

Brian T. Sniffen
bts at alum.mit.edu    or    brian.sniffen at gmail.com