[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell-Cafe Digest, Vol 51, Issue 180

manu emmanuel.delaborde at citycampus.com
Wed Nov 28 15:55:19 EST 2007

>> I'm trying to build diverse packages from Hackage with ghc 6.8.1,
>> they usually fail to build because of missing language extensions.
>>
>> Sometimes I am unable to determine the proper name of the extension
>> missing in .cabal
>> I tend to slap {- #OPTIONS -fglasgow-exts #-} at the top of the
>> troublesome file.
>> It works, but out of curiosity, what is the downside of such an
>> approach ? (bigger executables ?)
>
> Can you list which packages failed to build out of the box?
>
>  -- Don

Well I'd say none of the packages I've tried, build out of the box,
that include :

haskelldb
haskelldb-hdbc
haskelldb-hdbc-sqlite3
HDBC
HDBC-sqlite3

Agreed some of these compile right after tweeking the build-depends:
and extensions: lines in the .cabal file
(apart from the pesky PatternSignatures which require a LANGUAGE
pragma in the source file)

haskelldb-hdbc-sqlite3 is the one that I couldn't get past...

I didn't bother with hsql-mysql-1.7 since Duncan Coutts mentioned it
required significant work (and I cannot do much)

Manu