[Haskell-cafe] nbody (my own attempt) and performance problems

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Wed Nov 28 14:18:18 EST 2007

Just out of curiosity...

> --some getter functions
> pVel !(_,vel,_) = vel
> pPos !(pos,_,_) = pos
> pMass !(!_,!_,!mass) = mass

What does the !(...) buy you? I thought tuples were already strict by
default in patterns (you'd need ~(...) to make them irrefutable), so
isn't the above equivalent to:

--some getter functions
pVel  (_,vel,_) = vel
pPos  (pos,_,_) = pos
pMass (!_,!_,!mass) = mass

And why in any case are the tuple components for pMass strict but for
pVel and pPos non-strict? Is is that mass is always used but position
and velocity are not?