[Haskell-cafe] Re: Waiting for thread to finish

Matthew Brecknell haskell at brecknell.org
Tue Nov 27 20:30:54 EST 2007

Brad Clow:
> However, I have a more complex app, where I haven't forgotton to use
> the right flags :-) and the utilisation of cores is very poor. I am
> thinking it is due to laziness. I am currently wondering how GHC
> handles the case where the function that is being forked uses lazy
> arguments?

Even with threads, results are evaluated only when they are needed (or
when forced by a strictness annotation). So the thread that needs a
result (or forces it) first will be the one to evaluate it.

Did you see Don's strict-concurrency announcement yesterday?

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2007-November/035292.html