[Haskell-cafe] St. Petersburg Game

manolo at austrohungaro.com manolo at austrohungaro.com
Tue Nov 27 08:27:09 EST 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to program an implementation of the St. Petersburg game in
Haskell. There is a coin toss implied, and the random-number generation is
driving me quite mad. So far, I've tried this:

import Random

increment :: Int -> Int
increment b = b + 1

main =  do	let b = 0
		let c = randomRIO (1,2)
		until (c == 1)	increment b
              	return b

This is intended to print the number of consecutive heads (i.e., 2) before
the first tail, but I get the following error:

ERROR "StPetersburg.hs":8 - Type error in application
*** Expression     : until (c == 1) increment b
*** Term           : c == 1
*** Type           : Bool
*** Does not match : Int -> Bool

I don't really see what's going on, so any help will be more than welcome.
I hope this is a suitable question for the Haskell Café list.

I'm using Hugs in an Ubuntu box, in case that should be useful.

Thanks,
Manolo