[Haskell-cafe] A tale of three shootout entries

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Mon Nov 26 23:21:23 EST 2007

s.clover:
> In some spare time over the holidays I cooked up three shootout
> entries, for Fasta, the Meteor Contest, and Reverse Complement. I

Yay!

> First up is the meteor-contest entry.
>
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?
> test=meteor&lang=ghc&id=5
>
> This is the clear win of the bunch, with significantly improved time
> thanks to its translation of the better algorithm from Clean.

Well done! Though looks like we'll have to follow the C++ implementation
to be really competitive.

> Next is reverse-complement.
>
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?
> test=revcomp&lang=ghc&id=3

Very good. I'm glad someone looked at that, since the old code was
moderately naive (first bytestring effort).

> Finally, there's fasta.
>
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?
> test=fasta&lang=ghc&id=2

Yeah, we should do something better here. Hmm.

> p.s. It looks like they've depreciated chameneos in favor of a new
> version, chameneos-redux. As this was one of the places Haskell
> really rocked the competition, it would probably be worth updating

Definitely. I note also we're beating Erlang on the new thread-ring
benchmark too,

    http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=threadring&lang=all

> the Haskell entry for the new benchmark. Also, the n-bodies benchmark
> seems like another that could be much improved.

Yeah, that's a hard one.

-- Don