[Haskell-cafe] New slogan for haskell.org

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Nov 26 10:50:59 EST 2007

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Thomas Davie wrote:

> On 26 Nov 2007, at 15:15, Henning Thielemann wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Don Stewart wrote:
> >
> >> The Haskell website has the rather strange motivational text:
> >>
> >>    Haskell is a general purpose, purely functional programming
> >> language
> >>    featuring static typing, higher order functions, polymorphism,
> >> type
> >>    classes, and monadic effects. Haskell compilers are freely
> >> available
> >>    for almost any computer.
> >
> > To continue an old thread: What about turning the strange words like
> > 'monadic effects' into links to glossary articles?
> >
> > Btw. where is 'lazy' ?
>
> I believe the point of this discussion was that anyone reading the
> Haskell webpage will currently get about as far as "featuring static
> typing", and go "this is all very nice, but what exactly does this
> language do for me?  Why should I use it?".  Take for example what the
> python website says:

I didn't want to repeat the discussion. I think the discussion ended with:
Anything more helpful would be too long for the title line at haskell.org,
and a more detailed explanation (but not a generic advertisement like that
from Python) should be reachable easily. Now my idea was, that making
links to glossary articles leaves the slogan as short as it is, and allows
people to find out quickly about the words they still don't know. An
explanation why Haskell's features are useful for programmers is still
required.