[Haskell-cafe] Re: More problems [Tetris]

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 22 14:43:29 EST 2007

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2007, at 14:25 , Andrew Coppin wrote:
>
>> It's just installing anything from Hackage which turns out to be
>> really difficult. I understand Windows developers are a tad rare
>> round here, so maybe that's understandable. I'd certainly be
>> interested in hearing about anything practical that I can do to
>> improve things on the Windows side...
>
> I suspect this requires a wrapper around Cabal so a suitably equipped
> Windows developer can build a package and then wrap it up in an
> InstallerVise (or etc.) installer.

What's actually involved in installing a 100% Haskell package? I was
under the impression you just need to put the compiled code somewhere
nice, and then tell GHC where you put it?

Would it not be possible to write a Cabal package description that just
takes a bunch of binary objects, puts them somewhere, and tells GHC?

(Obviously if the package is a binding to some external library things
become more complex...)