[Haskell-cafe] Re: More accessible papers

Martin Geisler mgeisler at mgeisler.net
Wed Nov 21 14:13:08 EST 2007

Peter Verswyvelen <bf3 at telenet.be> writes:

> Jeremy Shaw wrote:
>> I would be especially neat if there was some way to embed the .tex
>> source in the .pdf, [...]
>
> Yes, but why don't researchers just publish their TEX file? You can
> regard that as the "source code" for generating PDF/PS whatever no?

I believe it is normal that the publisher requires you to give away your
copyright for them to publish your article. You then no longer own the
.pdf or the .tex file.

For example, the Springer copyright form[1] for their Lecture Notes in
Computer Science says:

  [...] The copyright transfer covers the sole right to print, publish,
  distribute and sell throughout the world the said Contribution and
  parts thereof, including all revisions or versions and future editions
  thereof and in any medium, such as in its electronic form (offline,
  online), [...]

They do allow you to keep a copy of the .pdf file on your own website
for archiving purposes, but republishing the article with a single
column doesn't seem to be allowed.

[1]: The copyright form can be downloaded here:
  http://www.springer.com/east/home/computer/lncs?SGWID=5-164-7-72376-0

--
Martin Geisler

      Do your secure multi-party computations (SMPC) with VIFF,
              the Virtual Ideal Functionality Framework.
                     Download at http://viff.dk/