[Haskell-cafe] expanded standard lib

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Wed Nov 21 21:34:27 EST 2007

Magnus Therning wrote:

>  “Rubygems is source-intrusive. The require instruction is replaced by a
>  require_gem instruction to allow for versioned dependencies. Debian and
>  most other systems think that dealing with versioned dependencies
>  outside of the source is a better idea.”

To drag the conversation reluctantly back to Haskell: I comaintain all
of the Haskell packages for Fedora, one of the biggest Linux
distributions.  I also wrote cabal-rpm, which automates the task of
turning a Cabal package into an RPM.  I also use Debian and MacPorts.

On none of these platforms do we have a
Cabal-versus-native-package-manager problem.  It simply doesn't occur.
All of the needed interactions and scripting that I've come across are
already provided for by Cabal.  When we've had problems, it's been easy
to write patches, and to have them accepted.

Thanks for not perpetuating the discussion,

	<b