[Haskell-cafe] expanded standard lib

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Wed Nov 21 15:36:36 EST 2007

On Wednesday 21 November 2007 20:14, Magnus Therning wrote:
> Many other programming languages have packaging strategies that sound
> very similar.  Several of them have managed to have a negative impact on
> platforms that already have good packaging technologies (i.e. almost
> every platform apart from Windows ;-).  I'd hate to see Haskell go in a
> direction where packaging for e.g. Debian is made more difficult than it
> is at the moment.

Yes, OCaml has a custom package manager called GODI and debs for Debian,
Ubuntu and Mac OS X. I don't think that works too well but trying to tell
everyone to use apt doesn't seem to work either (especially at Microsoft).

People have also suggested something like CPAN for Perl. Incidentally, I
recently read of a harsh test suite someone used from CPAN that deleted his
root filesystem when his software failed a test. Perhaps CPAN will facilitate
the natural selection of Perl programmers next... :-)